ACMAs 12 month focus – is your industry in their sites?
The Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA) is the government’s media and communications watchdog and has released details of what it will clamp down on in the year ahead.
On top of new spam regulations which may mean companies should re-examine their unsubscribe or opt-out functionality, ACMA has broad ranging regulatory priorities that marketers should be aware of to stay on the right side of the law.
ACMA’s 2021-2022 priorities aim to protect Australians from scams, poor service from telcos and financial products like payday loans. They include cracking down on:
- Affiliate marketing services promoting offshore gambling.
- Financial services marketing, particularly for payday loans or financial advice.
- Mobile phone scams and forcing telcos to identify, trace and block scam calls.
- Regulating 5G and Electronic Magnetic Emissions to be in line with Australian standards.
- Forcing telcos to resolve complaints faster and improve how they deal with vulnerable customers.